Analyst, Industry Engagement
The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research (MJFF) was founded in 2000 with one clear objective: accelerating meaningful therapeutic advances and, ultimately, a cure for Parkinson’s disease (PD). The Foundation applies extraordinary scientific, business and media assets to this singular focus – thus creating a unique and dynamic organization. Since inception, MJFF has quickly grown into the largest nonprofit funder of Parkinson’s disease research worldwide, having funded more than $600 million in research projects in academic and industry labs worldwide. Core to our philosophy is how we think of our capital and its risk profile relative to other stakeholders in the drug development pipeline. We work aggressively to de-risk various treatment ideas and tools in the hopes of building a robust pipeline of new treatments for patients. Today, the Foundation has about 125 full-time employees.
We believe that to find a cure for PD as quickly as possible, our capital needs to push research forward today—we therefore deliberately have no endowment. We instead start our fundraising from zero each year and seek to deploy funds raised as quickly and wisely as possible. MJFF raises over $90 million annually. Today, the Foundation has approximately 125 full-time employees who are based in New York City.
Within MJFF, Research Partnerships supports the Foundation’s mission of developing new and improved PD therapies through its focus on three key activities: 1) business strategy, project management and operations of MJFF’s research activities; 2) developing and managing large-scale research projects, including public-private partnerships; and 3) increasing engagement and developing partnerships with various stakeholders, including industry (pharma and biotech).
The Analyst on the Industry Engagement team will serve as a dedicated consultant on special projects – gathering, analyzing and synthesizing data to address key research portfolio questions. Through primary and secondary research on R&D activities across neurodegenerative diseases, you will be uniquely positioned to help align MJFF’s funding portfolio and industry engagement strategies with advances in the landscape of therapeutic development. Working across MJFF’s Research Partnerships and Programs business units (including target discovery, clinical research and industry strategy teams), you will generate unique data-driven insights on Foundation funding strategy through independent research, translating data into digestible information.
The Analyst will compile insights and recommendations into reports and presentations for senior leadership and departmental managers to better understand the PD clinical research landscape and enrich decision making. You will have the opportunity to partner across the Foundation actively contributing to MJFF’s goals at large and will report to the Associate Director of Research Partnerships. We are seeking someone with a strong analytical background, sharp healthcare acumen, and exceptional documentation and communication skills.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Source, build and maintain intelligence on the R&D pipeline across the PD and Alzheimer’s landscapes; enable accurate tracking and predicting of field-wide inflection points that will inform prioritization and strategy for MJFF’s industry engagement and research funding
- Take responsibility for identifying information sources, effortlessly gathering and navigating data to capture insightful trends and progress in therapeutic development for neurological disorders
- Perform rigorous analysis and extract key information quickly and simply providing teams with facts that guide strategy; help internal teams make key business decisions that drive change
- Monitor industry news and identify market trends, revenues and investments in PD and other neurological disorders
- Manage and implement technical projects (i.e., data capture, storage and maintenance) collaborating closely with Research Partnerships, Research Programs, CRM and external teams
- Action data collection and analysis to quantify the impact and ROI of MJFF’s financial and non-financial investments toward accelerating PD drug development
- Compile analysis reports and develop communications strategy for presenting data-driven insights and recommendations to senior leadership and internal teams
- Apply network mapping tools to support understanding of relationships across stakeholders within the PD research ecosystem
- Build dynamic competitive landscape assessments for priority PD therapeutic approaches, producing data tables and visuals for program comparison
- Prepare internal reports and memos on key research milestones and industry news
- Develop a keen understanding of industry involvement in PD research as well MJFF’s grants portfolio strategy, patient engagement, and clinical trial recruitment efforts
- Liaise with key internal stakeholders to seamlessly translate business requirements into data gathering, documentation and reporting specifications to meet the needs of diverse teams
- Opportunity to cultivate relationships with new industry partners toward establishing and managing a portfolio of companies
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 2+ years of relevant work experience out of university (e.g., business analyst, healthcare data management, management consulting) with measurable success and achievement
- Ability to uncover novel information and generate breakthrough insights and perspectives
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, take on significant responsibility on projects and work independently
- Excellent communication skills, capable of accurately assessing key business requirements and explaining analytics to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong organizational skills, deadline-driven, and ability to multi-task to support research, analysis and reporting across diverse teams
- Effective team player with a collaborative approach to problem-solving and comfort in navigating ambiguity
- Fluent in Excel and PowerPoint; proficiency in programming languages and experience with Salesforce CRM and DOMO considered a plus
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter describing their specific qualifications and interest in the position. Submissions without cover letters will not be considered. Please click on the following link. Please, no telephone inquiries and do not contact our staff directly. Only applicants who best match the position needs will be contacted.
The Michael J. Fox Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
If you are interested in joining MJFF as a volunteer please send your resume and cover letter to:
Office Manager and Human Resources
The Michael J. Fox Foundation
Grand Central Station
P.O. Box 4777
New York, NY 10163-4777
Computer literacy and a minimum commitment of eight hours per month are required.