This Parkinsonís Awareness Month was a busy oneóat The Michael J. Fox Foundation and across the Parkinsonís community. April included sweet treats, key milestones, great media hits, new friends and more.
The results: More people are aware of the urgent need to speed a cure for Parkinsonís. And theyíre ready to take action.
A few of Aprilís highlights:
- To kick off Parkinsonís Awareness Month, MJFF teamed up with Magnolia Bakery to create a one-of-a-kind Michael J. Fox Foundation cupcake! Throughout April at any U.S. store location and online, Magnolia Bakery donated $1.75 from every MJFF cupcake sold to help speed a cure for PD.
- Michael J. Fox appeared on the cover of AARP The Magazine, talking about family, his return to TV and keeping a positive outlook on life when living with Parkinsoní.
- The Fox Focus on Parkinsonís, MJFFís redesigned and renamed print newsletter, arrived in thousands of mailboxes. Read it online to learn more about the people who are bringing their focus to our goal of a cure.
- On April 13, MJFF held the 7th annual MVP Awards Dinner for Team Fox, recognizing our top 2012 fundraisers. It was our largest MVP ever, with more than 400 Team Fox members. The top 12 fundraisers alone raised over $1.6 million for Parkinsonís research.
- The Parkinsonís Progression Markers Initiative (PPMI) successfully completed recruitment of the original study, a major milestone in the search for a Parkinsonís biomarker. MJFF announced the expansion of the study, focusing on people at increased risk for developing PD.
- Michael J. Fox answered your questions in MJFFís first-ever Google+ Hangout. If you missed it, catch it now on our YouTube channel.
- 127 people submitted their entries to MJFFís ďIím Curing ParkinsonísĒ photo content, and over 13,000 voted. Winners will be announced on May 6, so stay tuned!
- More than 10,000 people took a step closer to curing Parkinsonís at the 19th annual Parkinsonís Unity Walk in Central Park, raising over $1.4 million, a portion of which will benefit MJFF.
- To help answer your questions about participating in clinical trials, MJFF hosted a Hot Topics Webinar on April 23. Watch it online and check out upcoming Webinars.
- The Foundation made new friends online, adding 13,574 new likes to our Facebook page, 731 followers on Twitter, and launching an Instagram account.