Pipeline Strategy PRIORITY AREA
Why focus on the Therapeutic Pipeline?
The path from research discovery to new treatment is long. As new ideas about the cause and progression of Parkinson's disease emerge, scientists propose numerous questions to better understand and refine these concepts. But to translate these ideas into benefits for patients, work must move along a critical "pipeline" from discovery to validation of relevant biological targets to preclinical drug development and ultimately to human clinical testing. Keeping new ideas flowing along this therapeutic pipeline is paramount to ensuring development of new treatments for people with Parkinson's disease.
Our Pipeline Strategy
The Michael J. Fox Foundation is helping to speed drug development for Parkinson's with innovative strategies that identify roadblocks along the therapeutic development pipeline. By sharing the risk of drug development with academic and industry researchers alike, we aim to increase the movement of new treatments to the clinic.
Our annual flagship funding opportunities, The Edmond J. Safra Core Programs for PD Research, allow academic and industry investigators to apply for funding for work that can significantly address critical gaps in our understanding of Parkinson's disease and development of effective treatments. A key element of our funding strategy, these programs focus on critical points along the translational pathway to new therapies for Parkinson's disease:
- Testing novel hypotheses that can provide new insight into Parkinson's disease and open new therapeutic avenues.
- Validating novel biological targets relevant to Parkinson's disease.
- Support for pre-clinical and clinical drug development of new therapies for Parkinson's disease.
- Assessing MJFF portfolio to ensure that key milestones guide each project and inform pipeline projects to determine if the following is warranted:
- Additional input from key experts
- Collaborations with appropriate partners
- Incorporation of complimentary approaches
These funding opportunities serve as an opportunity for the research community to engage with MJFF in novel discovery efforts -- whether to promote new ideas, targets or therapeutics. MJFF scientific staff work closely with project investigators, as well as experts in the field to identify the critical path forward for projects along this therapeutic pipeline whether that means, developing critical research tools or identifying scientific hurdles, ultimately ensuring that this process advances appropriately.
Accelerate Your Research
Access Research Tools
Select from pre-clinical models, reagents, research data and more.
Sign-up for Emails
Receive regular updates on funding opportunities and other resources.