The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research (MJFF) was founded in 2000 with one clear objective: finding a cure for Parkinson’s disease (PD) in our lifetime. The Foundation applies extraordinary scientific, business and media assets to this singular focus—thus creating a unique and dynamic organization. Since inception, MJFF has quickly grown into the largest nonprofit funder of Parkinson’s disease research worldwide, having funded more than $1 billion in research projects in academic and industry labs worldwide. We exist to put ourselves out of business, so we deliberately hold no endowment but instead spend what we raise quickly and efficiently; 88 cents of every dollar spent goes directly to research programs. Core to our philosophy is how we think of our capital and its risk profile relative to other stakeholders in the drug development pipeline. We work aggressively to de- risk various treatment ideas and tools in the hopes of building a robust pipeline of new treatments for patients. Today, the Foundation has about 150 full-time employees.
MJFF takes a holistic approach to investing in Parkinson’s research, providing both intellectual and financial capital to accelerate therapeutic development. As part of this strategy, MJFF sponsors, implements, and manages large-scale, global clinical research cohort studies that address therapeutic development challenges, including the Parkinson’s Progression Markers Initiative (PPMI) and the Global Parkinson’s Genetics Program (GP2). As Senior Associate Director, Research Cohorts, you will serve as a key program manager, overseeing the successful execution both as an individual contributor as well as managing a small cross-functional team for high-impact projects. You are adept at maximizing work productivity and achieving ambitious goals through support and cultivation of our most valuable asset – people, both internal and external. You also know when you are the right person to spearhead a project, leveraging your flexible and solutions-oriented project management style to deliver maximum results.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Execute end-to-end project management, including defining key outcomes, establishing cross-functional team roles & responsibilities, getting buy-in on project plans and timelines, and owning the communication of status and results
- Lead development and negotiation of contracting vehicles for complex projects, serving on our internal task force focused on developing & documenting standard legal terms and negotiation considerations
- Develop PowerPoint presentations, project charters & project plans, Excel reports and pivot tables as needed to support successful project execution
- Manage and organize research cohort budgets
- Directly manage team members with a focus on talent cultivation and coaching
- Develop and cultivate positive working relationships with external collaborators and partners, which include other research funders, key opinion leaders, clinicians, researchers, and the patient & participant community
- Contribute to cultivating a team culture that is highly collaborative, inclusive, and productive and that drives impact through continuous improvement and learning
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree, advanced degree preferred
- Sophisticated project management skills, including ability to adapt style based on team dynamic, with 4-7+ years of complex multi-party project management experience
- 3+ years people management experience, including delegation, coaching, and talent development.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, including team-based problem-solving approaches
- Strong relationship building and influencing skills to achieve shared goals with and through people
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills and judgement/tact for managing up and escalation
- Strong decision-making abilities amidst ambiguity; ability to make judgment calls on tough issues and own that responsibility
- Financial acumen and experience managing budgets
- Mastery of standard Microsoft tools (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, etc.) and experience with web-based management tools (e.g. Asana, Smartsheet, etc.)
Additionally, the ideal candidate will possess the following person attributes:
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment
- Highly collaborative work style and positive attitude
- Passionate about increasing impact through continuous improvement and learning
- Comfort building and implementing strategies without an existing roadmap
- Proven ability to influence cross-functional teams
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter. Submissions without cover letters will not be considered. We ask that you do not contact our staff directly and no phone inquiries please. Applicants who best match the position needs will be contacted.
The Michael J. Fox Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.