This week, "Scientific American" covered the development of new Parkinson's treatments targeted at the LRRK2 mutation (and how they might benefit the broader Parkinson's population) in a story titled "Parkinson's Drugs Aimed at Rare Gene Mutation Show Promise for Other Sufferers, Too."
Recent research findings -- from a study funded by The Michael J. Fox Foundation -- show that the LRRK2 protein may play a role in Parkinson's disease, even among people without the LRRK2 genetic mutation. Read more on these study findings here.
Commenting on these results in the "Scientific American" piece, Foundation CEO Todd Sherer, PhD was quoted saying:
Instead of developing a drug for perhaps 5 percent of the PD patient population, [Todd] says, "these data suggesting that LRRK2 plays a role in perhaps the other 95 percent...could mean a broader impact across the board."
Read the entire "Scientific American" story.
Then, learn more about progress on the recent LRRK2 drug trial from Denali Therapeutics.