The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research (MJFF) was founded in 2000 with one clear objective: finding a cure for Parkinson’s disease (PD) in our lifetime. The Foundation applies extraordinary scientific, business and media assets to this singular focus—thus creating a unique and dynamic organization. We exist to put ourselves out of business, so we do not hold an endowment and instead spend what we raise quickly and efficiently; 88 cents of every dollar spent goes directly to research programs. Today, the Foundation has about 150 full-time employees.
Core to our philosophy is how we think of our capital and its risk profile relative to other stakeholders in the drug development pipeline. We work aggressively to de-risk various treatment ideas and tools in the hopes of building a robust pipeline of new treatments for patients. In order to achieve our mission of finding a cure for PD, it is critical that we engage with, and bring together, members of the PD community including researchers, physicians, health professionals and most importantly, people with Parkinson's and their families.
The MBA Summer Strategy Fellow will work directly with the SVP Strategy, Finance & Operations and the Director, Strategy and Operations to expand and coordinate strategic planning efforts across MJFF. The primary responsibility of the Strategy Fellow will be to conduct analysis and make recommendations for how MJFF translates strategic objectives into action. This 10-week fellowship is intended for full-time MBA candidates who have completed their first year and are interested in a position in social enterprise, nonprofit management, and/or healthcare research.
MJFF is a high-profile, highly dynamic organization. The Strategy Fellow will be joining the Foundation at a key moment of growth and this position will have significant exposure to senior management in a highly visible role. This will be a paid position with a weekly stipend of $1800. This is an onsite position located in New York City.
This role will be responsible for:
- Developing strategic planning efforts based on Balanced Scorecard methodology across the Foundation, assisting with the development of a 3-5 year plan that reinforces the sense of urgency underlying MJFF’s mission
- Establishing and communicating metrics of success through scorecards and additional measurement tools
- Coordinating cross-departmentally with Foundation leadership to articulate goals and objectives that align with strategic plans
- Developing analytical models and tools to identify key drivers of trends within the Foundation’s operating model, including administrative, fundraising, and programmatic functions
- Supporting the creation of presentations for organization leadership and MJFF Board of Directors
- Driving Strategy team forward by asking good strategic questions, identifying assumptions, and testing theories of change
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Passionate about mission-driven organizations and The Michael J. Fox Foundation
- Current MBA candidate from top-tier MBA program
- 2 – 4 years of Consulting, strategy, or nonprofit experience
- Experience and familiarity with the Balanced Scorecard or similar strategic planning frameworks
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Partnership mentality that builds trust and respect with management and business heads
- Strong analytical skills, including financial modeling and trend analysis
- Demonstrated capacity to build relationships and work effectively across an entire organization at all levels, including with technical departments
- Enthusiastic problem-solver
- Strong attention to detail
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a resume, a thoughtful cover letter describing their specific qualifications and interest in the position and two professional references. Submissions without the requested documents will not be considered. Applications should be submitted by May 20, 2019. Please, no telephone inquiries and do not contact our staff directly. Only applicants who best match the position needs will be contacted.
The Michael J. Fox Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.