The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research (MJFF) was founded in 2000 with one clear objective: finding a cure for Parkinson’s disease in our lifetime. The Foundation applies extraordinary scientific, business and media assets to this singular focus—thus creating a unique and dynamic organization. Since inception, MJFF has quickly grown into the largest nonprofit funder of Parkinson’s disease research worldwide, having funded more than $800 million in research projects in academic and industry labs worldwide. We exist to put ourselves out of business, so we deliberately hold no endowment but instead spend what we raise quickly and efficiently; 88 cents of every dollar spent goes directly to research programs. Core to our philosophy is how we think of our capital and its risk profile relative to other stakeholders in the drug development pipeline. We work aggressively to de-risk various treatment ideas and tools in the hopes of building a robust pipeline of new treatments for patients.
The Administration Department includes Finance, Strategy, Information Technology, and Facilities. Our purpose is to provide strategic analysis and tactical advice to MJFF leadership and across all departments to advance the organization’s mission. We strive to create a partnership culture that embodies the MJFF values by being proactive, collaborative, and efficient.
Reporting to the Vice President, Finance, the Controller will be responsible for oversight of all accounting activities within MJFF. The Controller will be lead all day-to-day finance operations supporting a $130M budget and supervise a team of 5 staff members. Responsibilities will include accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, grant administration, monthly closes, forecasts, and annual budgeting. The Controller will ensure that MJFF has the systems and procedures in place to conduct flawless audits and will work closely with leadership and staff to educate them on finance/accounting procedures and build a partnership culture.
This is a full-time position located at MJFF headquarters in New York City with little or no travel required.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems to ensure compliance with GAAP and regulatory requirements
- Manage all organizational cash flow processes
- Maintain internal controls and safeguards for receipts, payables, budgets, and expenditures
- Establish, maintain, and communicate policies and procedures
- Manage all annual audit activity
- Present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; manage monthly statements, periodic forecasts, and annual reports
- Assist the Director, Financial Planning and Reporting with annual budgeting and planning processes
- Support leadership in engaging the board Finance Committee with internal trends and changing GAAP requirements
- Lead change and introduce technologies to achieve economies of scale as we grow; implement new general ledger system, paperless solutions, and business intelligence tools
- Strengthen Administration Department’s partnership culture by becoming a trusted and credible advisor supporting leadership across MJFF with their management of departmental budgets
- Manage 5 direct and indirect reports
Desired Skills and Experience:
This is an ideal opportunity for a mature leader with years of accounting and management experience.
- 10+ years of experience in accounting, finance, or audit
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) with current license
- Working knowledge of software platforms including [GP, Concur, Adaptive, DOMO, and expert in Excel]
- Proven success as a manager
- Unimpeachable integrity
- Experience with Activity Based Cost and Department P&L reporting concepts
- Strong project management and change leadership skills
- Strong communication skills
- Strong strategic instincts with experience linking strategy to actual operations and operational requirements
Desired Leadership Attributes:
- Passionate about mission-driven organizations and The Michael J. Fox Foundation
- Proactive, collaborative, and efficient
- Ownership mentality of solutions from start to finish
- Strong attention to detail
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit resume, links to a portfolio or relevant work samples, and thoughtful cover letter describing specific qualifications and interest in the position. To apply, please click on this link. Submissions without cover letters will not be considered. Please, no telephone inquiries and do not contact our staff directly. Only applicants who best match the position needs will be contacted.
The Michael J. Fox Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.