The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research (MJFF) was founded in 2000 with one clear objective: accelerating meaningful therapeutic advances and, ultimately, a cure for Parkinson’s disease (PD). The Foundation applies extraordinary scientific, business and media assets to this singular focus—thus creating a unique and dynamic organization. Since inception, MJFF has quickly grown into the largest global funder of Parkinson’s disease research outside the U. S. federal government, having funded over $800 million in research projects in both academic and industry labs worldwide.
We believe that to find a cure for PD as quickly as possible, our capital needs to push research forward today—we therefore deliberately have no endowment or reserve. We instead start our fundraising from zero each year and seek to deploy funds raised as quickly and wisely as possible. MJFF raises over $90 million annually. Today, the Foundation has approximately 150 full-time employees who are based in New York City.
Position Summary: The Development Operations and Revenue Analytics team is integral in helping the Michael J Fox Foundation scale its mission principally through an expanded revenue base. A strong DevOps function drives revenue growth by reducing the time relationship managers spend on various administrative tasks, speeding up the stewardship process, and improving the engagement experience for MJFF constituents.
The Development Associate, Principal Gifts & Revenue Strategy is on a team that contributes to the success of the Principal Giving portfolio by providing operational support to the Co-Founder, CEO, and senior leadership. This candidate will also contribute to the revenue strategy function which enhances visibility into revenue line performance and enables efficient allocation of resources.
The ideal Development Associate, Principal Gifts & Revenue Strategy is a left- and right-brain thinker – meaning you possess both analytical chops and creative skills. This person will be an approachable problem-solver who confers a sense of urgency and customer service with constituents, teammates, and colleagues.
This is a great role for someone interested in obtaining an MBA, learning how a non-profit is run, and engaging with executive leadership.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Act as the administrative point person for stewardship of Principal Giving (PG) donors.
- Maintain PG donor portfolio and prospect records including the recording of action items in the CRM and have a deep understanding of these often complex relationships.
- Assist with meeting preparation and note taking at Principal Giving donor meetings, coordinating directly with Co-Founder, CEO, and other senior leadership when necessary.
- Help track needed follow up / outreach across the Principal Giving portfolio.
- Support the creation of content and facilitate targeted interactions (pitches, updates and speaking activities) for principal donors and prospects.
- Draft correspondence to PG constituents.
- Monitor and report changes across a suite of revenue strategy reporting and escalate to manager.
- Prepare a suite of recurring revenue reports.
- Participate in regular business reviews with key Development stakeholders.
- Ensure reporting, analytics and dashboard needs are met. Build new revenue reports as needed.
- Interpret data across vertical, and sub-vertical performance and identify levers for driving revenue growth.
- Leverage data to provide actionable insights to stakeholders.
- Identify opportunities to improve current reporting formats, processes and systems.
Qualifications and Skills:
The ideal candidate will be a proactive, self-directed and approachable problem-solver who confers a sense of urgency and customer service with constituents, teammates, and colleagues.
Soft skills and culture
- Must be comfortable with shifting roles and responsibilities – someone who does what it takes to get the job done.
- Extremely organized and able to think big picture while maintaining excellent attention to detail.
- At home in a team environment, possessing a collaborative, interactive work style with an eagerness to learn from more experienced team members.
- A self-starting mentality with sound judgment and an ability to anticipate needs without explicit direction.
- Embodies civility, customer service, entrepreneurial thinking, and work ethic.
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Professionalism is essential as this person will frequently interact with senior leadership at the Foundation
- High EQ.
- A positive, “yes and…” mentality is a must.
Discrete qualifications and hard skills
- 2 – 4 years professional experience in either for-profit or non-profit organizations ideally in a Sales / Development or a Sales Operations / Development Operations role.
- Undergraduate degree in related field (this includes, but is not limited to business, marketing, analytics, economics, engineering, management).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with an ability to communicate confidently and with empathy, both within the Foundation and externally.
- Experience with common workplace tools including: Salesforce, MS Office (especially Excel). Experience with business intelligence tools (Tableau, Domo, etc) a plus.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send resume and thoughtful cover letter. We ask that you do not contact our staff directly and no phone inquiries please. Applicants who best match the position needs will be contacted. Submissions without cover letters will not be considered.
The Michael J Fox Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.